City of Tucson – Smartscape Bootcamp: February 2024
Registration closes at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, 2/27/24, the day before the class.
This course is a condensed, one-day version of Smartscape: A Training Program for Landscape Professionals™ that was developed specifically and ONLY for City of Tucson staff. The following topics will be presented, and participants will take an exam at the end of the day to earn their certificate.
- Plants, Soil, and Water examines the relationship between these three elements that form the landscape.
- Plant Selection and Installation covers the criteria for choosing different types of plants for a landscape design, based on their characteristics and growing needs, maintenance requirements, and functional uses within the landscape, as well as selection of the best material in the nursery, and installation in the landscape.
- Drip Irrigation Design and Installation shows students the industry’s latest tools and covers best practices for water-saving drip irrigation systems.
- Landscape Water Management and Irrigation Controllers illustrates how to determine plants’ water needs, how to calculate actual landscape water use, and how to program a controller, in addition to troubleshooting for watering too much or too little.
- Maintaining Desert-Adapted Plants gives students tips on fertilizing, pruning, and covers the effects of shearing on shrubs.
- Plant Disorders offers students practical advice for identifying and responding to plant health issues.
- Desert Adapted Plants introduces students to a wide selection of plant materials currently available from the nursery industry.
Contact Nelva Valenzuela, with any questions or concerns: (520) 621-0839 or firstname.lastname@example.org