Pima Smartscape – Jan./Feb., 2022
Each class is 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Every Tuesday & Thursday from 1/4/22 – 2/3/22.
Smartscape is presented as a series of eight, 3-hour classes, plus an exam session and a Resources & Marketing / certificate session. Each class focuses on a specific topic and is taught by an expert in the subject matter, from the University of Arizona, municipal water departments, or the landscape industry. Drawing upon their education and/or professional work experience, speakers present the latest research-based information on sustainable landscaping practices suitable for our region.
- Plants, Soil, and Water examines the relationship between these three elements that form the landscape.
- Plant Selection and Installation covers the criteria for choosing different types of plants for a landscape design, based on their characteristics and growing needs, maintenance requirements, and functional uses within the landscape, as well as selection of the best material in the nursery, and installation in the landscape.
- Landscape Design and Renovation teaches students how to conceive, plan, and execute landscape designs that respond to the needs of the site and the client, all while incorporating sustainable landscaping techniques.
- Drip Irrigation Design and Installation shows students the industry’s latest tools and covers best practices for water-saving drip irrigation systems.
- Landscape Water Management and Irrigation Controllers illustrates how to determine plants’ water needs, how to calculate actual landscape water use, and how to program a controller, in addition to troubleshooting for watering too much or too little.
- Maintaining Desert-Adapted Plants gives students tips on fertilizing, pruning, and covers the effects of shearing on shrubs.
- Plant Disorders offers students practical advice for identifying and responding to plant health issues.
- Desert Adapted Plants introduces students to a wide selection of plant materials currently available from the nursery industry.
Smartscape can help landscape professionals move ahead of the competition and stay up to date on the latest trends, research, and practices in the industry. With its informative classes and networking and marketing opportunities, Smartscape is an affordable way for people to strengthen their practice and innovate their business. Participants who attend all classes (or make up the maximum of two that can be missed) and pass the test receive a certificate of completion, decals, and a lapel pin indicating they have completed Smartscape training. Graduates have the opportunity to market themselves as Smartscape Trained professionals by being included in the online directory.
Additionally, earn International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) continuing education units as well as credits for the Arizona chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (AzASLA) Continuing Education System.
Contact Debbie Lesko, the Smartscape Office Specialist, Sr., with any questions or concerns: (520) 626-5161 or email@example.com