Maricopa Advanced Smartscape: Plant Materials – 2021
The 2021 Advanced Smartscape: Plant Materials course begins on Wednesday, November 3rd.
The Advanced Smartscape: Plant Materials training builds upon the Smartscape course experience with nine hours of in-depth training for landscape professionals on plant materials best suited for water-efficient landscapes in our desert environment.
Attendees should have completed the basic Smartscape course to develop an understanding of conditions typically found in our landscapes that affect proper plant selection.
After completing the three-class course, students will be able to effectively integrate a wide selection of regionally appropriate plants into landscape designs and provide proper maintenance by implementing the knowledge gained in Advanced Smartscape.
The Advanced Smartscape: Plant Materials course delivers high-quality education from experts in the green industry.
Topics covered include:
- appropriate water-efficient examples of trees, shrubs, groundcovers, perennials, vines, and succulents for desert landscapes, in both residential and commercial settings
- identification of important morphological (physical) features of numerous desert-adapted plants, including foliage, flowers, and seed structures, as well as growth habits
- navigating nursery availability lists to locate appropriate plant materials
- exploring new plant introductions offered by local wholesale growers
- assessing available resource materials (online and hard copy) most useful in determining water, light, and soil requirements of plants
- reviewing possible applications of plants within landscapes, considering form, function, and ornamental values
- basic guidelines of maintenance (pruning, watering, fertilizing, pest control) for plant groups
Presentations will be made using the latest research-based information regarding sustainable landscaping practices. In a tough economy, such training is invaluable to landscaping businesses as competition for customers remains high. Students will receive an Advanced Smartscape training manual and the opportunity to earn International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), and Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD) continuing education.
Graduates of the course receive a certificate of completion from the University of Arizona and the opportunity to market themselves as Smartscape Trained Professionals by being listed in the Smartscape Online Directory at www.smartscape.org/directory.
The Arizona Municipal Water Users Association and the Arizona Department of Water Resources sponsor the program. It is offered through the University of Arizona Maricopa County Cooperative Extension with the mission of increasing water-use efficiency in landscapes by providing exceptional training to landscape professionals and educating them regarding the critical role they play in the best use of our water resources.
Registration is limited to the first 55 applicants, and to no more than five persons per company. The registration fee for the course (consisting of 3 classes) is $95.
Maricopa County Smartscape
4341 E Broadway Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85040
Pima County Smartscape
4210 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719